This was a fun DIY co-building project with a young customer who has unbridled enthusiasm for eBikes.
Starting with a well-used Trek, our first goal was to improve the basic integrity, strength, and safety of the bike. This entailed:
- Disassembling the old drive train
- Cleaning, filing, and grinding parts
- Replacing a defective suspension fork with a strong, fixed steel fork (the electric blue of the Red, White, and Electric Blue Bike)
- Installing a safer hydraulic brake system with a compatible quick-release front tire/wheel assembly
- Swapping out a child’s seat with a more appropriate adult seat provided by the owner
- Adding a bell, mirror, and kickstand
Safety reflectors are also a must and coming soon.
So how did it turn out?
Pretty nifty, in our humble opinion.
Working with Mom and Dad, we programmed a limited top-speed setting. Using a Luna Wolf Pup battery ensures good performance with a reasonable mileage range for a young rider.