Make for the best sales!
Meet our furry friend and neighbor, Charlie!
As official spokesdog, Charlie endorses the Blue Cruiser featured below.
Keith and Beverly build great bikes! I first met the blue cruiser on the West Bend trail before it was electrified. (Hey, that’s a big word for a dog!)
As a Westie, I’m particular, but it was love at first sight. Check out all the details here.
You can own this sweet ride for $1600. Update: this bike is sold.
We were so happy to sell this new California eBike to a nice couple in Sunriver!
Before it rolled out the door, we customized it with the following:
- Comfort cruiser seat
- Bipedal kickstand
- Generous front basket – thanks Sunnyside Sports!
- Custom painted basket supports
- Pedals without spikes
- Front headlight
- Rear Headlight
These swap-outs and additions were made in 24 hours. The original suspension seatpost was a $200 upgrade. We changed it out for our customers as a matter of preference, but it also saved them on the purchase price.
This is the difference between “buying off the rack” and finding something that is truly custom built for you.
Custom builds respect the fact that everyone is different. What I need or prefer may not matter to you or vice versa. Our Mom and Pop shop strives to add components we think play up the best features of a particular build. We are also pleased as punch to make a switch that better fits you!
No, it’s not a breaking news story, but we did just add three new features to this cool build:
- A ring-a-ding-ding bell
- Rear view mirror so you can see who’s sneaking up on you
- Kickstand for parking your ride
What Are We Talking About?
Our new California eBike build on a REI Co-op aluminum frame with steel fork. Pedal assist and throttle powered.
- Fast-rolling Maxxis Hookworm street tires
- BMX tall handle bars for upright pedaling
- Suspension seatpost
- Hydraulic brakes
- California eBike power group set, w/ long-range battery, throttle, pedal assist, and mid-drive motor.
- Programmable controller – 750 Watt Class 3
- Color display
Speeds of 30+ mph
Mileage range 35-40+ depending on rider, terrain, and throttle use
Ride in Comfort
The extra tall front fork guarantees room for the big battery, mounted on the frame underside. Comfort is king during high speed runs over rough pavement or gravel with our suspension seatpost and mid-drive motor.
Turn on a Dime
If you’re looking for a highly maneuverable bike that turns on a dime (remember those? Ha!) – this ride is for you.
With the Maxxis Hookworm tires, this bike is just under 26 inches and classified as Adult with the modified setup (MH tires, tall suspension seatpost, and BMX stand up handlebars).
Test Drives Encouraged
Find out for yourself how well this eBike handles compared to a RAD or other hub-style eBike. The California eBike is lighter, more comfortable, and requires less maintenance (no broken spokes like hub motor eBikes). Experience the difference!
Porch pickup or deliveries in local area at our discretion.
Cash, credit card, debit card, or Zelle payments accepted.
Because they’re better! And not necessarily more expensive.
It starts with the bike. Whether new or used, we convert your ride. Bikes in landfills just seems wrong to us.
Advantages of Mid-Drive Motors
We use mid-drive motors. With a mid-drive, which is integrated into the pedal assembly, the weight is centered on your bike. This allows for:
- A more comfortable ride
- Reduced or no maintenance
- Cost savings over the long run
How can that be? Aren’t hub-motor bikes like the RAD cheaper and just as good?
Don’t get us wrong. The RAD business model, which emphasizes affordability at purchase, gets a definite thumbs-up. Millions of dollars in sales can’t be wrong.
But hub motors add weight to the rear wheel of your bike. You are more likely to feel all the bumps and grinds as you ride. In addition, broken spokes – caused by the weight of the motor in the wheel – are common. To fix this problem requires the expertise of a specialized bike mechanic, which can be costly.
Off the Shelf or Custom?
When you buy off the shelf, what you see is what you get. That can be terrific – if you purchase optional add-ons (more money) or just need the very basics.
Our eBikes are custom from the get-go. We aren’t obligated to use parts only from a specific source. We can add the best of the best as part of your regular build request. Features many manufacturers or shops would call “extras” like mirrors, racks, custom grips, etc. are standard for us. And we work with you to find the best solutions for your needs.
- Try before you buy. We will happily arrange test drives any time! Discover for yourself the difference in comfort between hub and mid-drive motors. Don’t take our word for it, comparison shop.
- Find out the real cost, not just the purchase price. What comes standard? How much are “extras?” Is installation free? How long is the warranty and what do repairs typically run if the warranty has expired? We believe you’ll learn that custom built mid-drive eBikes like ours are the better value in the long run.
- Please shop local. Whatever you choose, please buy from a local dealer. Whether it’s a Mom and Pop like us or another local – it’s all good. We need to support each other and our communities.
Come see our Specialized Roll Sport eBike at the Central Oregon Builders Association (COBA) Tour of Homes. The tour begins this Friday, July 10 and continues for the next two consecutive weekends. For details, including the tour schedule and maps, visit the COBA website.
The Specialized Roll Sport
For the eBike conversion, we installed a Luna Cycle Wolf power group set, consisting of a 1000 watt motor, controller, throttle, power cut-off brake lever, bling ring, and color display. We also added a front basket, rear rack, and mirror.
With a range of 35-40 miles and a top speed over 30 mph, this conversion is the bomb! It not only goes faster and further than a Rad, it weighs less. Total cost: $2,000. Sold to one of our favorite customers, Tom.
Envious? Let Us Build for You!
You can buy off-the-shelf or you can own a custom eBike from High Lakes eBikes LLC. It’s that simple.
Why Should I Choose a Custom Build?
- Our eBike conversions use what you already own and make it better by adding a motor. We don’t send bikes to the bike graveyard, we reclaim them to live another day.
- Installations are specifically designed to fit your needs.
- Your comfort and safety is King – from specialized seatposts to grips, mirrors, bells, baskets, and anything else you want on your bike.
- We use only the highest quality eBike kits on the market and the difference shows. Our mid-drive motors outperform the competition and result in a smoother ride.
A Word about Cloninger Custom Homes
We are honored to feature our Roll Sport in Matt Cloninger’s newest custom home at 1315 NW Mount Washington Drive. Why? Because Matt built our house 8 years ago and he’s awesome! He’s finishing a project now at Tree Farm and we’re excited to see what he builds next at Discovery West.