One of our favorite organizations is the Bend-Redmond chapter of Habitat for Humanity. We enjoy building items and donating them to Habitat to be raffled off to families.
Usually our builds are practical – a dining room table, game table, or rolling island. This season we decided to craft rustic wood Christmas trees. They are a work in progress.
We encourage you to find a cause, person, place, or organization and get involved.
Thinking about an eBike for Christmas? Give us a ring – sooner rather than later, as backorders and shipping delays continue.
Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!
Water and snacks are two mainstays of any bike ride. Among our favorites? Nutrition bars and trail mix, of course.
Still, it’s easy to find yourself in a rut. If you’re craving something different try Diamond Head cantaloupe.
I was intrigued. Dried cantaloupe? That was a first for me! And it did not disappoint. What a great alternative to raisins and cranberries!
Don’t feel like running to the store? Order directly from Nature’s World. Family-owned and based in the Pacific Northwest, they offer a wide variety of snacks, including dried okra, beets, and chili mangos. Save $$$ by purchasing Trail mix in bulk.
A lot to love
This petite addition fits neatly under your saddle and is packed with features:
- Eye catching LED light
- 4 modes (slow flash, flicker, steady, ultra bright)
- Brake sensing
- USB rechargeable
- Auto on/off sensor
- Easy to install
The basic version retails at $21.99 (coupon applied).
- 120 decibel anti-theft alarm
- Remote activation and deactivation
- Includes wireless electric horn to alert cars or others when riding in traffic
- Use the remote control feature to find your bike
- Concealed install – potential thieves are unlikely to expect an alarm integrated into a tail light
- 3 light modes versus 4 in the non-alarm version
- Limited compatibility. If your saddle mount bracket gap does not fit the G Keni specifications, you can’t install the light.
- Charging time is 2-3 hours versus 20-30 minutes for the non-alarm tail light
- 15 hours running time versus 50 for the non-alarm version
- No auto on/off feature
Visit the G Keni store on Amazon for more options, including a color-changing rear light.
Either way, bike lights save your life.
We love building for friends and neighbors. When a customer is both? Wow! What a bonus!
Read all about the Sunday Funday bike here.
Do you have an eBike that you don’t ride? Is it too heavy to pedal without electric assist? Do you experience flats? Broken spokes? Can you load your bike on a rack? If you fall and your bike lands on you, can you lift it off without help?
Heavy bikes are a drag
Unfortunately, bargain eBikes sold by well-known retailers tend to be heavy. Often hovering in the 60-70+ pound range. The culprit is a combination of the design and rear hub motor.
Ironically the same bikes with heavy hubs can also have thin tires. (Don’t be fooled if you currently have a “fat bike.”)
Add your weight above that rear hub, ride over a pothole, and wham! You feel it and so does your bike. Thus, the issues with broken spokes, flats, etc.
We can help you lighten up by 20+ pounds, which is a huge amount in the bike world.
It’s a matter of smart design. We start with an existing lightweight bike frame – yours or ours – then we install a mid-drive motor. As the name implies, a mid-drive motor is centered on the bike for better balance. This immediately solves the problem with repetitive flats and broken spokes caused by too much weight on the rear hub. More importantly, mid-drive motors are compact and powerful, saving some big lbs.
Lifting gets even easier when you can remove your battery. Our designs include this feature too! We also add back racks or handles so smaller riders can load up and ride solo.
Enjoy your bike again
Recently we saw an ad for a used Specialized eBike. A terrific bike, no doubt about it. We love the brand. The seller, a neighbor, was asking $4000 firm. For a used bike …
Just know: we can do better – or just as well – for much less. Give us a call.
Because they’re better! And not necessarily more expensive.
It starts with the bike. Whether new or used, we convert your ride. Bikes in landfills just seems wrong to us.
Advantages of Mid-Drive Motors
We use mid-drive motors. With a mid-drive, which is integrated into the pedal assembly, the weight is centered on your bike. This allows for:
- A more comfortable ride
- Reduced or no maintenance
- Cost savings over the long run
How can that be? Aren’t hub-motor bikes like the RAD cheaper and just as good?
Don’t get us wrong. The RAD business model, which emphasizes affordability at purchase, gets a definite thumbs-up. Millions of dollars in sales can’t be wrong.
But hub motors add weight to the rear wheel of your bike. You are more likely to feel all the bumps and grinds as you ride. In addition, broken spokes – caused by the weight of the motor in the wheel – are common. To fix this problem requires the expertise of a specialized bike mechanic, which can be costly.
Off the Shelf or Custom?
When you buy off the shelf, what you see is what you get. That can be terrific – if you purchase optional add-ons (more money) or just need the very basics.
Our eBikes are custom from the get-go. We aren’t obligated to use parts only from a specific source. We can add the best of the best as part of your regular build request. Features many manufacturers or shops would call “extras” like mirrors, racks, custom grips, etc. are standard for us. And we work with you to find the best solutions for your needs.
- Try before you buy. We will happily arrange test drives any time! Discover for yourself the difference in comfort between hub and mid-drive motors. Don’t take our word for it, comparison shop.
- Find out the real cost, not just the purchase price. What comes standard? How much are “extras?” Is installation free? How long is the warranty and what do repairs typically run if the warranty has expired? We believe you’ll learn that custom built mid-drive eBikes like ours are the better value in the long run.
- Please shop local. Whatever you choose, please buy from a local dealer. Whether it’s a Mom and Pop like us or another local – it’s all good. We need to support each other and our communities.
How do you transform a mountain bike into a street-fast, BMX style ride? By giving it a makeover from top to bottom.
This latest eBike build features brand-spanking new:
- Fast-rolling Maxxis Hookworm street tires
- BMX tall handle bars for upright pedaling
- Suspension seatpost
- Hydraulic brakes
- California eBike power group set, w/ long-range battery, throttle, pedal assist, and mid-drive motor.
- Programmable controller – 750 Watt Class 3
- Color display
- Speeds of 30+ mph
- Mileage range 35-40+ depending on rider, terrain, and throttle use
The extra tall front fork guarantees room for the big battery, mounted on the frame underside. Comfort is king during high speed runs over rough pavement or gravel with our suspension seatpost.
If you’re looking for a highly maneuverable bike that turns on a dime (remember those? Ha!) – this ride is for you. $1700.
Arrange a Free Test Drive Today
Interested? Call or text us at 541-977-1700 to arrange a free test drive.
Come see our Specialized Roll Sport eBike at the Central Oregon Builders Association (COBA) Tour of Homes. The tour begins this Friday, July 10 and continues for the next two consecutive weekends. For details, including the tour schedule and maps, visit the COBA website.
The Specialized Roll Sport
For the eBike conversion, we installed a Luna Cycle Wolf power group set, consisting of a 1000 watt motor, controller, throttle, power cut-off brake lever, bling ring, and color display. We also added a front basket, rear rack, and mirror.
With a range of 35-40 miles and a top speed over 30 mph, this conversion is the bomb! It not only goes faster and further than a Rad, it weighs less. Total cost: $2,000. Sold to one of our favorite customers, Tom.
Envious? Let Us Build for You!
You can buy off-the-shelf or you can own a custom eBike from High Lakes eBikes LLC. It’s that simple.
Why Should I Choose a Custom Build?
- Our eBike conversions use what you already own and make it better by adding a motor. We don’t send bikes to the bike graveyard, we reclaim them to live another day.
- Installations are specifically designed to fit your needs.
- Your comfort and safety is King – from specialized seatposts to grips, mirrors, bells, baskets, and anything else you want on your bike.
- We use only the highest quality eBike kits on the market and the difference shows. Our mid-drive motors outperform the competition and result in a smoother ride.
A Word about Cloninger Custom Homes
We are honored to feature our Roll Sport in Matt Cloninger’s newest custom home at 1315 NW Mount Washington Drive. Why? Because Matt built our house 8 years ago and he’s awesome! He’s finishing a project now at Tree Farm and we’re excited to see what he builds next at Discovery West.
If you’re a local, you know Crow’s Feet is more than bikes. When it comes to back country skiing, they’ve got you covered.
We visit both shops for the camaraderie, which is practically Bend’s other name. Both sell eBikes, so check them out.
Need parts? Crow’s Feet is a great resource. We also frequent Sunnyside Sports on Galveston and Pine Mountain Sports on Century Drive. Adding custom bling rings, grips, seats, baskets, and racks is part of our mojo.
So now you know. When you work with High Lakes eBikes we buy local too!